Current:Home > reviewsPoinbank:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Infinite Edge Capital
Poinbank:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:33:34
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Poinbankagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (42955)
Related
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- It’s not just Fat Bear Week in Alaska. Trail cameras are also capturing wolves, moose and more
- NFL Week 6 bold predictions: Which players, teams will turn heads?
- Oregon’s most populous county adds gas utility to $51B climate suit against fossil fuel companies
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Why Remi Bader Stopped Posting on Social Media Amid Battle With Depression
- Witnesses can bear-ly believe the surprise visitor at Connecticut governor’s estate
- Woman lands plane in California after her husband, the pilot, suffers medical emergency
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Erin Andrews Reveals Why She's Nervous to Try for Another Baby
Ranking
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- New York Yankees back in ALCS – and look like they're just getting started
- Pilot in deadly California plane crash didn’t have takeoff clearance, airport official says
- NY prosecutors want to combine Harvey Weinstein’s criminal cases into a single trial
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Golden Bachelorette's Guy Gansert Addresses Ex's Past Restraining Order Filing
- Modern Family’s Ariel Winter Teases Future With Boyfriend Luke Benward
- Nation's first AIDS walk marches toward 40: What we've learned and what we've forgotten
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
North West proves she's mini Ye in Q&A with mom Kim Kardashian: 'That's not a fun fact'
MLB moves start of Tigers-Guardians decisive ALDS Game 5 from night to day
Erin Andrews Reveals Why She's Nervous to Try for Another Baby
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
TikTok was aware of risks kids and teens face on its platform, legal document alleges
Dodgers vs. Padres predictions: Picks for winner-take-all NLDS Game 5
'It's relief, it's redemption': Dodgers knock out rival Padres in NLDS with total team effort